Kitchen Revamp: Update #3

It’s getting cheerier in here!

Greetings, folks! It’s time for another kitchen revamp update!

I’m pleased to say that the kitchen cabinets are halfway done! Woo! In other words, all 12 of the upper cabinets have been painted, sealed, and hung with new hardware. Whew. I think I need a break before starting on the lower cabinets, pantry, drawers, that thing covering the fan vent… you get the idea.

I sealed the cabinets with the Flat Out Flat top coat from General Finishes. I started with a coat of Minwax Matte Polycrylic top coat but it dried to a satin finish, which I was really unhappy with. Milk paint just looks wrong with a sheen to it. (And I’m incredibly relieved I was able to fix it.)

And I know the General Finishes website said no priming is necessary for this paint, but I do feel like it has chipped and cracked in some places. We don’t have kids so it probably won’t be an issue on the upper cabinets, but I think I will prime with a water-based primer on the lower cabinets before applying the milk paint. They’re more likely to get bumped and scuffed than the upper cabinets, so I’m hoping a little extra work will pay off in the long run.

My only regret so far is that I went with an off-white color instead of a true white, something I didn’t think about until a few coats had been applied and it was too late to turn back. I think a true white would look better against the appliances, but you live and learn. I’m still very happy with how it’s turning out. (And crossing my fingers it won’t yellow with age…) And who knows, I might like it more once the rest of the kitchen is painted — cabinets and walls.

After the cabinets, I’m itching for plank countertops (aiming for a butcher-block feel but more affordable) and a tiled backsplash. I also have a new-to-me hood to go over the range that we need to install at some point — the people I bought my vintage oven from gave it to me as an afterthought when they delivered the oven, and it will match better than the current one.

I’ve also been doing a bit of work on the oven. Last weekend I filled in all the chips in the porcelain with an enamel patch kit, and I’ve been working at scrubbing the rust out of the drawer. You wouldn’t know it from the picture, but a good portion inside the drawer is rusted. I’ve been periodically scrubbing it with baking soda and homemade orange vinegar, and it’s helped at lot. When most of the rust is gone I will probably paint the inside with Rust-o-leum to keep it from spreading.

And finally… I keep dreaming of having a SolaTube installed to get some more light in the room. That first picture was taken at about 3pm on a sunny day, folks. It’s definitely brighter than it was now that half the cabinets are painted, but it’s still pretty dark. (I don’t know about you, but I am not a fan of cooking in the dark.)

But as I mentioned earlier in this post, I think I need a break before tackling the lower cabinets. Jordan and I are thinking we’ll paint our living room before circling back to the kitchen. My parents are visiting at the end of the month, and our goal is to have it done before then.

This place is slowly feeling more like ours with each passing day, and it’s a really exciting feeling!